7.14.2004

Bzzzz Bzzzz Bzzzz

a while back bees & i submitted some poems about cicadas, my favorite insect, to the washington post. i didn't tell anyone, as i was hoping that my announcement could come as a link to our being published in the post. but, it seems that john kelly didn't think ours were the best, and we didn't win the "fancy lunch" prize. dang.

here is a selection from the 3 poems we submitted.

(note: read to the tune of I Will Survive)

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Not knowing what was out there in those big blue open skies.
But then I spent 17 years thinkin’ how I had to see
And I grew wings, and now there’s so many like me!

And so you’re back, from underground
I just crawled out and now we’re both here, mating-bound.
I should’ve flown another way,
I should’ve pretended I was gay,
If I had known for just one second you’d be back to shrill at me!

Oh now go! Fly another way!
Don’t click & shrill now, is that all you’ve got to say?
Weren’t you the one there in that hole of mine?
Maybe I will mate with you, cause then you’d lay down & die!

Oh no not I! I will fly high!
Oh as long as I have an ovipositor I know I’ll stay alive!
I’ve got all my life to live, and I’ve got all my eggs to give!
I will fly high! I will fly high!

________________________________________________
e2theLos thinks things have gotten a little heavy around here. and it's also been a long time since we've had a contest! SO. send me a poem in any form - limerick, haiku, sonnet, etc. - about any topic of your choice - your shoe laces, what you had for breakfast, the celebrity with whom you really want to knock the boots. winner will recieve their very own piece of personalized prize mail.

p.s. i really hope y'all don't punk out this time. play!