4.01.2005

Bearer of Bad News

The Lamb here, guest posting by request from the Los.

As you all may know, it's the FIRST ANNIVERSARY EDITION of e2theLos! So it should be an exciting, fun day, as I have been wanting to guest post for months, and here I am, finally, just in time for a special occasion! But it should be the Los who is writing here, laughing and celebrating her first anniversary.

Instead, the Pope is dying and Los is sitting at home, alone (save Squirrelly), probably watching Days and Jerry Springer. She might even be drinking - who knows? Is she crying? Probably not - she doesn't really cry over stuff like this, and besides - there's too much irony here for her actually to be upset.

The Los was DOOCED.

Wednesday afternoon she was sitting innocently enough at her desk, carrying on 14 email conversations and reading the comments you lovely readers left about her wine store posting. A stifled laugh (in response to the squirrel reply) elicited interest from her boss, so he sauntered over and asked what she was reading. She told him about her blog, and he was totally intrigued - he read over her shoulder for a bit. He seemed interested and wanted to read more on his own, so she kindly emailed him a link to her beloved blog, which he spent the next hour and a half reading.

At the end of the day, he called her into his office. Their conversation went something like this:

"Your blog is great! I've never even been sure about what a blog actually was."

"Thank you - I'm so glad you liked it!"

"I read a lot of it, and it's obvious that you've put a lot of work into it."

"Absolutely - I try to write every day, but sometimes it takes so long to plan and get each posting just right, I really can only get one in every few days."

"It's lucky this isn't one of the sites we've blocked, isn't it?"

[This is where she could have had a bit more foresight:]

"Really! Especially because I don't even have a computer at home - I wouldn't be able to do this at all!"

"Well, that's what I thought - I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly. So you've been working on this pretty much every day for the past YEAR?"

"That's right - my anniversary is Friday! Any ideas for how to celebrate?"

[Long pause...]

"I don't think you'll be celebrating - you're fired! The blog's great, but we haven't been paying you to work on that crap! Do you think we're all a bunch of idiots? Pack up your stuff and be gone within an hour."

So I hope you've all really enjoyed reading. Los's devotion (and trusting nature, and uncanny ability to multi-task for so long that it took her boss a WHOLE YEAR to notice anything) got her fired. DOOCED!!

For those of you who are relatively new readers, you might not catch the full irony here: it was the blog Dooce that inspired e2theLos, and the Dooce was fired for her blog - not for spending too much time on it, but for what she said in it about her coworkers. You can read about it at http://www.dooce.com. Since I'm new, I don't know how to make this just a link. But I'll figure it out eventually.

I guess it all depends on how long it takes the Los to find another job - she could fall back on the wine store, but she doesn't have her own computer there. So for a few weeks at least, I'll be here.

You all knew she'd get you somehow - that's right: April Fool's!!